BROOKLINE ARTS CENTER COVID-19 POLICIES – Winter 2022 – Spring 2022
In-Person Classes and Program Policies
***Please read the entire list of policies below as well as our General BAC Policies before registering for a class.***
The BAC reserves the right to suspend access to our facility if we believe a student is jeopardizing the health and safety of others, either by attending class while displaying covid-related symptoms or by not adhering to covid-related protocols. After registering for an in-person class, students will be sent and required to sign a waiver indicating their agreement to our safety protocols and their understanding that failure to comply will result in eviction from the facility and expulsion from class without the possibility of a refund. The safety of our faculty, students, and staff is our top priority. We are committed to continuing to provide the same high-quality classes and programs our community is used to receiving from the BAC.
We are so excited to welcome you to in-person classes this winter and spring!
Below are some changes you will see implemented in this session. These updated policies are to both assure you that we are closely following CDC and government recommendations for running our programs and to be sure that students and families agree to the important role everyone plays in keeping their experience at BAC as healthy as possible. Please know that we will do all that we can to keep students and staff safe and happy.
- Students 12+ are required to be vaccinated by the start of our Winter session, January 21st, 2022. Students will need to provide proof that they have received their first vaccine by that date. We strongly encourage ages 5-11 to be vaccinated as well. (last updated 12/22/2021)
- Scanned copies or photos of COVID Vaccination Cards are now required to be uploaded into your Active account before the beginning of each session (last updated 12/22/2021)
- All BAC teachers and staff are now required to be vaccinated (last updated 12/22/2021)
- Our mask mandate will continue inside our building for anyone aged 3 and older.
- For ages 2 and under, masks are optional but highly recommended while attending our Parent and Child classes.
- All parents participating in parent and child or family classes are required to be vaccinated.
- Masks must adhere to CDC guidelines and must cover both the mouth and nose at all times. Masks will be provided for students who do not bring their own.
- All parents and students will be required to sign our covid waiver before attending classes.
Below you can read about the precautions the BAC is taking to ensure the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff. Our COVID-19 protocols and procedures follow the necessary requirements and the Lowest Risk and Best Practices protocols. Changes to our programs have been made in accordance with guidelines put forth from the following:
We ask that all staff, faculty, and students commit to the safety and health of themselves and fellow students and families attending the BAC programs:
- We ask that families consider their children’s ability to comply with all social distancing and hygiene protocols as established by the BAC.
- We request staff and students with underlying health conditions consult with their doctor about their decision to attend our programs.
- We request that staff and students do not attend BAC programs if they or anyone in their household exhibits any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Families and staff are requested to prescreen their health status and be conscious of the safety of their social and public activities in the 14 days leading up to their classes and during class itself.
- Families and staff are required to follow Massachusetts travel restrictions and quarantine requirements as applicable.
- A BAC Waiver and Release is required to be signed upon registration. After registering for an in-person class, students will be sent and required to sign the waiver indicating their agreement to our safety protocols.
Please refer to our Building & Facility Improvements below to read how we are improving the safety of our building
Building & Facility Improvements:
We completed building improvements at the BAC to ensure adequate social distancing as well as the safety of our students, faculty, and staff, including:
- Improving the air quality throughout the building by adding air exchange units to windows in every studio
- Renovations to our windows to ensure that all windows can allow for proper airflow throughout the building
- Addition of stand-alone air filters in every studio
- Increased the number of hand sanitation stations throughout the center
Symptoms, Social Distancing, PPE, and General Protocols:
- Any student who develops symptoms will be isolated immediately and a parent or guardian will be contacted to pick them up as soon as possible. They will need to provide a negative COVID test before the student can return. Symptoms in this case include:
- Fever, feverish, or had chills.
- Sore throat
- Difficulty breathing
- Gastrointestinal distress
- New loss of taste or small
- New muscle aches
- Any other signs of illness
- If you are sick, please stay home. (see BAC Policy: Positive COVID case)
- Hand washing is required upon entrance to the building and throughout the class periods.
- All students, faculty, and staff must always wear facemasks at all times when in our facilities and on the premises.
- Masks must cover your mouth and nose
- Face masks are required at all times indoors, and masks must cover your mouth and nose.
- Parents/guardians must provide an additional mask in a plastic bag with their child’s name on it.
- The BAC will have masks available if needed.
- Please bring your own water bottle.
- Please sanitize and wash your hands frequently – the BAC will have sanitizing stations in each room.
- Snacks are permitted with social distancing practices exercised.
BAC Policy: Positive COVID case
- Any student, faculty or staff who tests positive for COVID-19 or have been in contact with someone who has received a positive test result for COVID-19 are required to notify BAC for purposes of cleaning, disinfecting, and contact tracing.
- If any student tests positive for COVID-19 or has been exposed to COVID-19, the students in the classroom will be notified and cannot return to BAC until they have taken a PCR test 5 days after exposure with a negative result.
- A student who tests positive will need to follow CDC recommendations for quarantining and will need to take a PCR test with a negative result 5 days after initial positive test before returning to BAC. they may not return to BAC until they can provide proof of a negative test.
- Every situation will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. We will do our best to keep the students in the classroom and will provide a substitute teacher as needed. The Safety of BAC students, faculty and staff is our priority.
- Class fees will not be refunded due to COVID-19 related building closure.
- The BAC is reducing the maximum number of students enrolled in-person in each class to adhere to state recommendations for social distancing.
- Maximum classroom capacities are:
- Studio 1: 15 people
- Studio 2+3: 15 people
- Ceramics: 5 people
- Jewelry: 6 people
- Classrooms will be arranged to ensure 3 feet of physical space between children and 6 feet of physical space between adults.
- Students must maintain at least six feet of distance between themselves, their teacher, BAC staff members, and other students in the facility at all times.
- Students must work at their designated workstations and refrain from visiting other stations.
- Students are required to clean and disinfect their assigned stations at the end of class. Cleaning supplies will be provided.
- Students are required to pay a fee for materials designated for their use for the duration of the class. Sharing materials with others is prohibited.
- Students are required to wash their hands thoroughly before and after touching any common surfaces.
- All students, faculty, and staff are required to follow CDC guidelines related to hygiene.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be set up in each classroom and around the building.
Cleaning & Disinfecting:
- A minimum of daily cleaning and sanitizing of high-touch surfaces by the BAC.
- Paper table covers will be changed between classes each day.
- Adequate cleaning supplies will be available for students’ use between cleanings, allowing students additional opportunities to wipe down surfaces.
- Deep cleaning will take place twice weekly throughout the building.
Youth Programs & Shared Materials
- Small tools (such as scissors, erasers, and paintbrushes) and materials (such as pencils, pens, markers, and crayons) will be distributed to each student to use for the entirety of the class and will be kept in their own bin.
- Larger shared materials (such as paint bottles, larger wood-working tools) will be distributed and sanitized after each use by the instructor.
- Students are permitted to bring snacks as long as they are eaten outside of the classroom while maintaining social distance practices.
Entrance and Dismissal for Classes:
- We will resume offering early drop-off and late pickup for select programming (full-day or vacation programming). The option to purchase early drop-off or late-pickup will be during checkout when registering for a class.
- In addition to in-person classes, we will also continue to offer virtual classes and adult evening and weekend classes.
- Parents/guardians will be given a 10-minute window of time to drop-off and pick up. It is very important that you adhere to the drop-off and pick-up times so that we can stagger the entry of the classes for each session.
- Parents and guardians will not be permitted inside the building.
- There will be a check-in line outside and staff will take children into the BAC for their class.
- Students 12 and under will need to be checked in via the Procare App with the assistance of a Staff member.
- Parents/guardians will be required to sign a waiver at the beginning of the week.
- Parents/guardians are required to wear masks when dropping off or picking up their child/children.
- BAC staff will help students wash their hands upon arrival and take them to their classroom.
- Clear signage will be posted inside and outside of the building.
- Parents/guardians will be required to answer a Daily Health Attestation on our PROCARE app before their child can attend each day. This screening will require answering ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to the following questions:
- Symptoms observed in a child in the past 24 hours:
- Within the last 14 days: Has your child had close contact with someone with COVID-19?
- A signature is then required
- Thank you for working with us to ensure a successful season at the BAC. We look forward to seeing all of you!
If you have any questions or your child has any special needs relating to COVID-19 procedures, please contact the BAC via email at email@example.com or by phone at 617-566-5715.